Medical Case File 37
Mucocutaneous leishmaniasis in Peru
– The lesions of mucocutaneous leishamniasis due to infection with L. braziliensis.
– Lesions may first become evident as ulcers involving the mucocuntaneous junctions of the mouth and nose.
– The leg is the commom site of ulcer from the bite of the sandfly.
– The major problem in Peru with Leishmaniasis is the development of resistant to drug treatment.
– Major new drug is needed for control of infection.
(Photos of Gross destruction of nasal septum, The initial bite from the Lutzomyia sandfly of the New World & Pharyngeal involvement with destruction of this area.)