Medical Case File 43
Dog infected with Rabies in Amazon Jungle
– RABIES CAUSES MANY ANIMALS TO BECOME BELLIGERENT AND BITE OTHER ANIMALS – THEREBY TRANSMITTING THE VIRUS.
– THIS DOES NOT HAPPEN WITH HUMANS. HUMANS DO NOT TRANSMIT THE VIRUS. IN HUMANS, 2 – 7 DAYS AFTER SYMPTOMS APPEAR, COMA AND DEATH ENSUE.
– FIVE CASES OF SYMPTOMATIC RABIES IN HUMANS HAVE RECOVERED AFTER THEY RECEIVED SOME FORM OF PROPHYLAXIS BEFORE ONSET. ONE PERSON HAS RECOVERED FROM.
– Vast cases of Rabies transmission in Latin America is by Bats.
– In the Amazon jungle outbreaks occur annually.
– The vampire bat is the major vector.
– Some individuals in the Amazon Have developed antibodies to the Rabies. Previous exposure and survived.
– Bats are the major carrier of RNA Viruses that affect Man .